Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Parallelism is funny. I hope.

On page 87, there is a chart that has an uncanny resemblance to Subi's project. And it's found in a scholarly, highly respected book. So we must all give sincere props to Subi for coming up with an elaborate system that is mirrored by the one in Visual Explanations.

Either that or Subi ripped the idea from the book (just kidding, just kidding, bud!).

I found "parallelism" to be highly, highly intriguing. The difference between time-based and adjacent-in-space comparisons especially picked my brain. Comparisons, parallels that are stacked in time - as demonstrated by the before/after flaps - are much more "magical" than comparisons that are side by side. The role that time plays in the scenario adds an element of suspense; what will appear behind the metaphorical flap?! It also allows the mind a satisfying feeling of nostalgia: "Wow, this new idea reminds me of an older idea... that's neat."

For some reason, time-based comparisons reminded me of comedians. No, no, just hear me out. I saw a comedy show with one awfully unfunny comedian, and one spectacular comedian. And I decided I know what the latter was so much funnier than the crappy comedian... he would tie together his jokes with previous ones. He would transist smoothly. He would open the flap into a new story. Eventually, when we forgot about the old, he would close the flap and "boom," the same joke be even funnier.

Let me speak without metaphor: The comedian would kill us with a joke, which we would eventually forget about, and then make reference to it later, thus picking our brains and providing a satisfying connection in time.

Maybe this makes sense, maybe not. But it's neat that a textbook hinted to something I once considered myself.

Anyway, I think it would be intriguing in my second project to do comparisons that are stacked in time. Maybe a movie with comparisons and narratives.

Or I'll just wear a button-up collar shirt and taped glasses and take pictures of myself.

No comments: