Monday, March 12, 2007

I like this book

The first chapter dealt with parallelism, which is connecting two bits of information by a common characteristic. I think this chapter has been my favorite of all the chapter we have read before. My favorite graphs in this chapter were:"Rock 'N Roll is Here to Pay," "The Science of Musical Sound," "Popular Astronomy," and the cosmonauts space map. In fact, the last time I saw the use of the parallelism done for the Astronomy club was for a Simpson's trivia game. Almost every character that had appeared on the Simpson's was on a huge poster, and there was a supplementary sheet with outlines of each character that corresponded to a number and their identity. An interesting aspect that the book pointed out several times, is how many steps it takes to go from a symbol to a number, to another number, to an identity. It's interesting how quickly we breeze through those steps when pouring our eyes over a chart or map.

The
multiples chapter was informative because it showed what I perceived to be good and bad examples in the chapter. The medical chart on page 111 was extremely difficult to digest for me, because there were two time lines, one vertical and one horizontal. A multiples chart I did find informative was the Pangea continent map. The left examples on that chart use the same grid structure as my constellation map.

No comments: