Sunday, March 11, 2007

P 'n M

After reading about parallelism and multiples, I have become more aware of how often these methods are used in information design. These methods are used conventionally and as seen in Tufte's readings, sometimes unconventionally. I have learned that to create an effective parallelism you must think of the images spacially and can be used with time. I compleletly agree that images placed well are much easier to compare and contrast. I found the diagram of patterns of rock music to be quite beautiful. The mound of flowing text and lines created a soothing effect which, can even be compared to some rock music. I was also captivated by the Cyclogram. I enjoyed the human touch in handwriting and the natural human behavior (anticipation/passing of time) that was expressed. The redesign in order to alleviate the passing of time was also interesting. Regarding multiples, I felt that it was pretty self-explanatory after reading of parallelism. Multiples allow for an ease of contrasting and in understanding change.

No comments: