Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Street Signs and Specimens

"...Specimens in one corner were grouped by type of defect..."

This made me grin inside.

The exerpts of the articles, I felt, tended to emphasize the appeal of a lack of direction (or as exhibited by the quote above; an unconventional direction) versus a coherant classification system. In a "standard" system of classification, we would expect specimens to be grouped into their respected species. Or, if visiting the Minnesota Zoo, we would expect specimens to be categorized according to their respected climates. We've grown accustomed to certain systems of organizing information.

I think there is wonder in the unexpected, in the out-of-the-ordinary. The Anatomical Museum in Leiden could have followed a more logical method of organizing their specimens. Instead, they were grouped by the type of defect. That's interesting. Interesting enough for me to stop and reread it, at least. The specimens are classified systematically, but possess a hint of wonder and curiosity due to the odd choice of classification.

Which leads me to ask; is the goal of our project to classify a subject with:
a. The most logic (the best system to help a person understand).
b. The most originality/creativity (the best system to keep a person's attention).
c. The most design/aesthetic appeal (the best system to catch a person's eye).

I have a feeling this class will challenge my preconceived notions concerning information design. What can classifications provide for us as information consumers? Maybe a street sign could do more than just tell me what road I'm on in a complex grid of other roads. Maybe it could indicate what type of neighborhood I'm in; how wealthy it is, what the crime rate is like. Maybe not.

But maybe it could.

No comments: