Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I personally found that the use of the encyclopedia as a classification system opened my eyes to what was being explained in class on Monday. Now with a better understanding for what is intended for the class I am interested to explore the possibilities of classification. I personally had more difficulty getting through the “Cabinet of Wonders” reading, maybe because it was referencing a time that I am not real familiar with, or it just didn’t catch my attention. I was really more drawn to the Poynor article because it emphisized the alternative use of classification. I too had a connection between that of the Frederik Ruysch descriptions and the Body World exhibit. While I feel that we have made leaps and strides since the time of Ruysch, I do believe that as humans we have a have a burning need to be surprised with what is presented. If the Body World exhibit were just plasticized body parts it would be a human anatomy book in 3-D. But to show the bodies in activies that you or I could leave and do, it puts a new perspective on what is being viewed.

No comments: