Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Classify Classify Classify

After reading both of the articles I have a better understanding of the world of classification but also has posed many questioning thoughts for me. Both excerpts have shown me that you can classify anything in your life, in the world, etc that brings forth questions, ideas or wonder. I think it is a natural practice in humans. I have collected and sorted Trolls, shells, stamps, etc as a child and persona.

I am intrigued with the idea of the chambers of wonder or curiosity and the process of collecting and treasuring. Over time, these chambers or rooms have become known as Museums. I am curious if there will ever be another level or change in Museum or the act of taxonomy. An example within the texts is the motion to box nature, couldn’t be done due to its vastness. Someday there is a possibility it could be done.

Appropriating too, can evolve. In “Appropriation,” I think by putting your ideas into a known and authoritative format become a parody is a parody in itself. Appropriation works, it grabs the viewers attention, is effective in getting your point across, and is often funny because of the relationship to the known and the new.

Being that you can classify mostly anything with reason, I also ponder are there any boundaries or lines that shouldn’t be crossed. An example I learned was of the young infants being preserved and in some ways made shrines. Just as in art, there may be blurry lines, but as always who is the judge.

Overall, the many paths of the complex classification process have been shown through these articles. I feel that you can go anywhere with classifying.

No comments: