Monday, February 5, 2007

Inspiration

Reading and looking at the visuals in these two chapters really help me visualize my project. Before I read any of this, I was having a hard time coming up with sketches that would help illustrate my ideas. My project is more about content and research rather than visual. History of Languages is not an easy task to chart, but from these chapters, they help me understand that my project doesn’t have to be boring to look at. One example I like is Herbert Matter, Thirteen Photographs because even it is just a bar graph, it gives out a visual appeals. This graph inspires many of my sketches, though the concepts are different.

From chapter one, I have collected a lot of information because there are so much and too many to remember. But from the first page the visual techniques that are in sync with my project are to direct labels, encodings, and self-representing scales elements that would help my visuals.

And in chapter three, all the chart and visual of magic tricks seem so simple and easy to follow (though they might not be when come to actually trying it). But the simplicity really appeals to me as in the Distraction Display because in just three panels they explain everything you need to know. This idea gives me more ideas visually of how to illustrate my ideas, but I only wish my project is that simple.

No comments: